HRLHA Press Release
The Human Rights League of the Horn of Africa (HRLHA) strongly condemns the TPLF/EPRDF Government’s endless government – sponsored terrorism against the Amhara people in the Amhara Regional State of Ethiopia by the name of stabilizing the uprising in the Amhara Regional State of Ethiopa.
On August 30, 2016 in his brief on the current unrest in the country Hailemariam Desalegne, the prime minister of Ethiopia , the commander-in-Chief of the Ethiopian National Defense Force (ENDF) and the Chairman of the Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF) has said ” I ordered all Ethiopia military forces to take all necessary measures against the protesters in Amhar Regional state of Ethiopia”
Followinng the Prime Minster’s order on next days the Ethiopia Killing squad Agazi force has been deployed in the region according the news and analysis media Horn of Afrique in Addis Ababa. Several midia autlest such in diaspora Amharic services such as ESAT and Voice of America have reported the brutality of the higly armred force against its citizens and killed at least 20 people in North Gonder, Metema town, in Gayint, Bahirdar and other tons in the Ahmara state several youths has been arrested by Agazi force.
By ordering its defense force to take all necessary action against its own citizen, especially against an armed citizens is clearly waging a war against an armed citizens in violation of the responsibility to protect its citizen from atrocity.
In the document Prevention of Genocide stipulated “Sovernity no longer exclusively protects States from foreign interference, it is a charge of responsibility that holds States accountable for the welfare of their people” This principle is enshrined in article 1 of the Genocide Convention and embodied in the principle of “sovereignty as responsibility” and in the concept of the Responsibility to Protect.
The three pillars of the responsiblity to protect as stipulated in the Outcome Document of the 2005 United Nations World Summit (A/RES/60/1, para. 138-140) and formulated in the Secretary-General’s 2009 Report (A/63/677) on Implementing the Responsibility to Protect are:
1. The State carries the primary responsibility for protecting populations from genocide, war crimes, crimes against humanity and ethnic cleansing, and their incitement;
2. The international community has a responsibility to encourage and assist States in fulfilling this responsibility;
3. The international community has a responsibility to use appropriate diplomatic, humanitarian and other means to protect populations from these crimes. If a State is manifestly failing to protect its populations, the international community must be prepared to take collective action to protect populations, in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations.
The HRLHA is calling upon all nations of the international community,
• Government of Ethiopia aliance west governments, USA and UK and others
• Govrnmental agancies, UN Security Council, EU parliament using your mandate of responsiblity to protect mentiond under #3 to stop the looming atrocity in Amhara regional States of Ethiopia.befor it is to late.